Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 22, 2015   #1
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Default Companion planting observations

Every year I grow about 15 plants. I usually sow about 30 plants and pick 15 for myself. various varieties. Mostly new to me, as I have not been growing tomatoes that long. So I'm still exploring a lot. Anyway I give the rest away. The last 2 years I could not give all away so I stuck the extras in any holes I could find in my blackberry patch. I grow about 8 different blackberry cultivars.
The tomatoes are pretty much left on their own. They trend to grow like the blackberries. Very vine like. One this year has vines that are 8 feet apart!
This year all my plants got septoria early. Bummer. Most are still here with me, I have managed to keep them producing, but at low rates. Still happy with results.
Some varieties fair better than others.
Well for the past 2 years the so called "extras" with the blackberries did not get septoria!! Right now they are still producing like crazy! I'm not sure if it is that I left them alone? Or the blackberries protected them somehow?
I spray my others with copper, and Chlorothalonil. Rotating sprayings. This has kept them alive. I don't spray ANYTHING on the blackberry patch plants. Nothing at all, all year!
Anyway I thought I would mention these observations. It is certainly curious to say the least!
Also of note is that they are crowded, have poor air circulations, and have to compete for water, and light with the very aggressive brambles. The tomatoes and blackberries tend to take turns growing on top of each other. So everything is done wrong!
I often lose some as it is such a hassle to get in there to harvest I delay it as the blackberries scar me up pretty good trying to harvest the tomatoes! I also have thornless blackberries and the tomatoes fair well with them too!

Last edited by drew51; September 22, 2015 at 04:29 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm.....I've got raspberries growing between a Romeo and a San Pedro Giant. The raspberries are somewhat jumbled up with the tomatoes. The tomatoes are in containers. Both of the tomato plants are doing better than others not near the raspberries, but that might be because I've been babying them more because I want the fruit from those tomatoes quite seriously. I also have Vinca invading the tomatoes and the raspberries so I don't know what's going on. I just know it is a pain to try and keep them all separated. I didn't intend any of these to be companions as the classic strategy would call for. I have two Dwarf Wild Fred plants in containers that are swallowed up by garlic, leeks and oregano and they are doing well, too. Perhaps the accidental companions are working together.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2015   #3
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it is not really evidence, but interesting all the same. I also didn't intend them to be companions, it was a matter of space, and my inability to kill good plants.
BTW, how is your romeo doing? Mine produced well, and the fruits are huge!
They were hit by septoria spot, yet still produced fruits like this
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote