Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 23, 2015   #1
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes the Source of Chipotle Salmonella Outbreak

Here's some bad news. I hope it doesn't spur more regulation of farmers.

http://www.thealternativedaily.com/u...mpaign=N150923
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

From what I have read most of the food poisoning bacteria found on fruit and vegetables is from the unclean hands of farm workers and sometimes from a water supply that is contaminated and used for washing of the fruits and vegetables. The same thing has been found to be the case on the outside of lemons and limes so don't drop the lemon slice in your tea unless the lemon has been washed well.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

There was a similar event that happened back in 2008 (I think) and when they finally chased it down, it turned out that the tomatoes which were heavily maligned (falsely) were not bad at all.

Can't remember how many tons of tomatoes were destroyed before somebody finally said. "Whoopsies. We made a mistake. All those tomatoes you were told to throw away were actually very good. We'll try to do better next time."

I can't remember the veggie that was finally "confirmed" as the real bad guy, but it seems like we are starting the downward spiral into the "porcelain facility" again.

Just guessing, but the source will probably be traced to something that comes from off shore.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This is the second time I have heard of people getting sick from eating there.
The last time was in Austin a few years ago from one down town.

It probably will help spur more regulation at least in some states.

Is the stuff contaminated on the outside of the tomato or the inside too?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
This is the second time I have heard of people getting sick from eating there.
The last time was in Austin a few years ago from one down town.

It probably will help spur more regulation at least in some states.

Is the stuff contaminated on the outside of the tomato or the inside too?

Worth
I think Herb just drove in, here to cut my hair so I'll be brief.

Yes, Salmonella and other possible pathogens can be found on the inside and exterior of tomatoes, peppers and others.

http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/2008/r...8-28-2008.html

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ss484

And I remember more than one instance when the reservoirs that feed those intermittant sprinkers in large grocery stores that spray the produce were also found to be contaminated with human pathogens and also were a problem b'c as one of the links above mentioned, pathogens can get into tomatoes, etc., when the stems have been removed, which is normal,not just for us home growers to do since we do n't want to poke holes in tomatoes, but also for most tomatoes shipped from X to Y.

Carolyn, who thinks the reservoir problem has been resolved, though,
Old September 23, 2015   #6
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

To me it doesn't matter when it says triple washed, I still do iodine and let it sit for 10-15 mins. Especially the high risk ones (chives, lettuce, berries).

The culprit can be as simple as a port-a-pottie not being delivered on time and the field not having coverage for a day or two.

Convenience = eventual explosion on both ends. And in some cases, more serious stuff.

I don't want to be an alarmist, our stomachs and immune system do a great job with almost all things. However, there's more than a few players out there that only require a small innocculum to get the party started, and in some cases it's just pieces of them that get the job done.

Most restaurants nowadays cook by opening a package, nuking it, garnish, and serve.

The garnish and serve is where they're having trouble, and that's where hand washing comes in. And no matter how hard you try, some people are just filthy and refuse to wash their hands. And there's nothing you can do to legislate-peer pressure-educate that away.

For the most part, the majority of players in the food industry are doing a pretty good job. And these outbreaks are still exception.

Wash your hands, wash your fruits and veggies and likely there will be no thrust vectoring in your bathroom.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
To me it doesn't matter when it says triple washed, I still do iodine and let it sit for 10-15 mins. Especially the high risk ones (chives, lettuce, berries).

The culprit can be as simple as a port-a-pottie not being delivered on time and the field not having coverage for a day or two.

Convenience = eventual explosion on both ends. And in some cases, more serious stuff.

I don't want to be an alarmist, our stomachs and immune system do a great job with almost all things. However, there's more than a few players out there that only require a small innocculum to get the party started, and in some cases it's just pieces of them that get the job done.

Most restaurants nowadays cook by opening a package, nuking it, garnish, and serve.

The garnish and serve is where they're having trouble, and that's where hand washing comes in. And no matter how hard you try, some people are just filthy and refuse to wash their hands. And there's nothing you can do to legislate-peer pressure-educate that away.

For the most part, the majority of players in the food industry are doing a pretty good job. And these outbreaks are still exception.

Wash your hands, wash your fruits and veggies and likely there will be no thrust vectoring in your bathroom.
I walked into a Taco Cabana one time and the coke machine drain was stopped up and smelled like the sewer.

By the way thank you for the recipe.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2015   #8
Timbales
Tomatovillian™

Virtually any vegetable or fruit can be contaminated with salmonella. It usually happens from poor agriculture methods. Most common is having the runoff from a livestock field draining into a vegetable field. In home gardening, I think it would be rare if not unheard of. It is also easily prevented in commercial farming. Keep the livestock sources away from the produce fields.
Timbales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2015   #9
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

That outbreak Ted mentioned turned out to be from Mexican Jalapenos that used a contaminated ditch for water.

That issue was 1 that hit my area hard. Florida tomatoes were first implicated. A big wholesaler that I used to take produce to, lost over $1 mil because of the Florida issue. And after that was when the health dept in my biggest market stopped us from giving samples if we have to cut something. Totally screwed up heirloom tomato sales and melon sales.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote