Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 12, 2015   #1
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Default Bradley

I'm considering trying Bradley next year. Just looking for input from those who have grown it before. It seems to be more well known in the southern U.S. Any northerners that have tried it?
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2015   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I can't help you with the northern part, but it is a very good tasting/producing tomato here in Texas. Being that you're in Minnesota, there are probably much better producing/tasting tomatoes. From what I've read, I would go with a Brandywine instead, but that's just my opinion from Texas.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2015   #3
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I think that there are two tomatoes named Bradley... I grow "Potato Leaved Bradley" which is often my earliest tomato. And it is indeterminate, so it keeps producing all season long. Fruits are saladette sized.

Last edited by joseph; October 13, 2015 at 10:34 AM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've been working on a 10 year old computer that keeps resetting internet history among other things (Not this PC I'm using now). I didn't think it posted my reply - post #2.

Douglas, the Bradley plants I planted this past spring produced heavily in a semi-determinate way until the 100F days started in mid-July. I planted out March 17. Bradley is said to be heat tolerant, but I'm not sure any tomato likes growing in 100+F days and overnight lows around 85F. The two plants produced tomatoes that were near 1 pound. If you have the room or a 5 gallon bucket/tote - I myself would grow them in Minnesota. Just don't overwater them. Basically treat them like a Sungold plant and they should produce a nice crop for you.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Here's what Tania, etc., have to say about Bradley:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Bradley

She also lists a Bradley's Pink, with no seed sources:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/B...b=General_Info

Carolyn
Old October 13, 2015   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I've always looked at Bradley and Rutgers as a pair of good canning tomatoes. Rutgers is the Red fruit and Bradley is the Pink Fruit. Both have that taste that takes you back to earlier days when you helped get the tomatoes ready to put into the jars.

I have always associated Bradley with the Pink color. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Bradley Red.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2015   #7
travis
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Bradley from seeds purchased from Victory Seed Co.
It's semi-determinate, or extended production determinate; approx. 80-days from transplant in 6a/6b, moderate weather conditions.

Susceptible to some foliar diseases such as Septoria leaf spot, but still produces well even when grown in pots. Baseball size, pink, normall globes with tall round shapes in weather stressed conditions. Good flavor. Hotset capabilities.

Used it in cross with Cherokee Purple, it produced better than any other F1 that I ever created. Mixed results in the F2 and F3, etc., growouts.

Edit: Traveler is an improved Bradley type, and Ozark Pink also is an improved Bradley type that produces very well, and is indeterminate, but will shatter (drop fruit) when nearly or fully ripe.

Last edited by travis; October 16, 2015 at 10:18 AM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2015   #8
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for the input.

I'm looking for good all-purpose tomatoes for next year. Most of the tomatoes I grow/use end up in a canning jar. Bradley sounds like it might fit the bill.

travis....I didn't know that Traveler and Ozark Pink are improved Bradley types. I should check those out as well.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote