Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 17, 2015   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default 5000 Fresno Seeds.

I took my powder scales out and did a little weighing.
This is pepper seeds but what the heck.
I wanted to know just about how many Fresno pepper seeds I have saved.
I weighed out 10 grains of seeds and it came to just about 100 seeds.
So then I weighed out all of the seeds and it came real close to 500 grains.
This tells me I have around 5000 pepper seeds.
Which comes close to 1 1/8th ounce.
492.2 grains is 1 1/8th ounce.
I looked on line and it said approximately 4000 seeds are in one ounce.
So I got darn close.
This also tells me just from eyeballing I have close to 15,000 pepper seeds all together.
So if they were to sell for a high price of 3.50 for 20 seeds it would come to $2,625.

All I did was save seeds from open pollinated peppers I bought.
Maybe $20 worth at the very most.

This is just too easy something has to be wrong.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; October 17, 2015 at 04:45 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2015   #2
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Or 15,000 Fresno pepper plants , put that acre to work ! lol
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

An acre of pepper plants would mean no more grass to mow
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendozaMark View Post
Or 15,000 Fresno pepper plants , put that acre to work ! lol
I wish it was farm land but it isn't.
Red clay loam, hard rocks trees and gullies .
You could film a Western.

Last edited by Worth1; October 17, 2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old October 18, 2015   #5
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I wish it was farm land but it isn't.
Red clay loam, hard rocks trees and gullies .
You could film a Western.
Aesthetically speaking, I am jealous of your property. You have trees and everything looks nice and green ! I miss that green look from living in Atlantic Canada.

My wife picked out our lot while i was in western Canada working. She, unfortunately, wasn't a gardener and her choice made me almost give up dreams of gardening let alone production gardening. No trees, just desert weeds in the hardest packed clay with salt peter in such volume that when you ran water a white foam emerged. Our well water has salt peter too. That was 7 years ago.

We were able to get a very drought tolerant grass to sparsely take hold. I opened up gardens amending the soil with copious amounts of any organic mater i could get a hold of. I planted and replanted any plants i could, with a select few making the harsh gardens home. The grass slowly took hold. I planted fruit trees everywhere, some survived. I flooded my gardens and my sparse lawns with water . Slowly the white foam got less and less. Two things changed, my water and soil changed slightly, but more importantly my gardening changed. I was learning this strange desert environment with my "burnt hand" approach.

Now, when I open gardens i do 2 different approaches, the raised garden and the half raised garden. The raised garden is much the same as anyone elses. 100 % import soil that i place on top of tilled hard clay. I put a layer of dead grass clippings or straw on top of the clay then top it up with 8 inches of import soil. The grass layer breaks down into the hard clay over time and increases soil depth and helps release the nutrients from the hard clay. The half raised garden, is over lawn. The lawn has done a lot of work breaking up about 6 inches of topsoil/clay. I break the lawn up, removing the roots, shake the thatch back into soil. I then hand till the remainder. I let it sit 2 days, then i hand pick all the hard clay balls out. Next, I build a half height frame of logs around the bed. I then add 100 % organic material (unknown compost but not manure) to fill bed. I then hand mix it with the natural clay soil underneath but let the top layer retain a higher ratio of compost. I let this mix sit for a week or so and then plant. I add a thin layer of worm castings over the bed then cover with pine bark fines. Anything larger then fines gets sent to my neighbours yard with Zonda winds.

One nice thing about my natural super pack clay soil is no rocks of any size.

Ok so I went pretty far off tangent on this post, but I do know what not having farm land is like !

Cheers !

Mark

Last edited by MendozaMark; October 18, 2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old October 18, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendozaMark View Post
Aesthetically speaking, I am jealous of your property. You have tress and everything looks nice and green ! I miss that green look from living in Atlantic Canada.

My wife picked out our lot while i was in western Canada working. She, unfortunately, wasn't a gardener and her choice made me almost give up dreams of gardening let alone production gardening. No trees, just desert weeds in the hardest packed clay with salt peter in such volume that when you ran water a white foam emerged. Our well water has salt peter too. That was 7 years ago.

We were able to get a very drought tolerant grass to sparsely take hold. I opened up gardens amending the soil with copious amounts of any organic mater i could get a hold of. I planted and replanted any plants i could, with a select few making the harsh gardens home. The grass slowly took hold. I planted fruit trees everywhere, some survived. I flooded my gardens and my sparse lawns with water . Slowly the white foam got less and less. Two things changed, my water and soil changed slightly, but more importantly my gardening changed. I was learning this strange desert environment with my "burnt hand" approach.

Now, when I open gardens i do 2 different approaches, the raised garden and the half raised garden. The raised garden is much the same as anyone elses. 100 % import soil that i place on top of tilled hard clay. I put a layer of dead grass clippings or straw on top of the clay then top it up with 8 inches of import soil. The grass layer breaks down into the hard clay over time and increases soil depth and helps release the nutrients from the hard clay. The half raised garden, is over lawn. The lawn has done a lot of work breaking up about 6 inches of topsoil/clay. I break the lawn up, removing the roots, shake the thatch back into soil. I then hand till the remainder. I let it sit 2 days, then i hand pick all the hard clay balls out. Next, I build a half height frame of logs around the bed. I then add 100 % organic material (unknown compost but not manure) to fill bed. I then hand mix it with the natural clay soil underneath but let the top layer retain a higher ratio of compost. I let this mix sit for a week or so and then plant. I add a thin layer of worm castings over the bed then cover with pine bark fines. Anything larger then fines gets sent to my neighbours yard with Zonda winds.

One nice thing about my natural super pack clay soil is no rocks of any size.

Ok so I went pretty far off tangent on this post, but I do know what not having farm land is like !

Cheers !

Mark
Well Mark you had me going with the saltpeter.
It is a generic word for several things but mostly used for potassium nitrate.
After doing some research I have found sodium nitrate is also called saltpeter in that area.

Worth
Old October 18, 2015   #7
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Well Mark you had me going with the saltpeter.
It is a generic word for several things but mostly used for potassium nitrate.
After doing some research I have found sodium nitrate is also called saltpeter in that area.

Worth
I have no idea which one I have either, I have asked more then a few people about soil testing and was looked at like I was from Mars...lol. It wasn't the death sentence in gardening that i was initially worried about. Now that it has subsided i think the potential between that and the unlocked nutrients in the clay could make this good amendable soil in the future. I had good results last year which i hope to take to the next level this year.