Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 24, 2015   #1
NatureRevering_TreeHugger
Tomatovillian™

Default Green Heart Tomato

Good Morning,

Does anyone know where I could purchase a few Reinhard Green Heart seeds? Was hoping Tatiana's would have them but unfortunately her site states there was a crop failure this year. So far I've only come across one place that is selling them, fingers crossed someone here may know some other places. Thank you and hope this message reaches you all in good health and good spirits.

Hugs and Smooches , Karen

P.S. Gleefully open to any info on different varieties of green hearts if they exist. ☺
NatureRevering_TreeHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2015   #2
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Karen--Just checked Marianna's, they're listed as new for '16, (I thought I may
have seen them listed there before.) if you haven't seen that listing.
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And I'll be listing all 3 of Reinhard's new hearts, the purple, chocolate and green ones, for an SASE in my upcoming seed offer.

And yes I do know of another variety that has heart as part of the name, but read why it isn't a true heart,

http://heritagetomatoseed.com/heirlo...coeur-de-jade/

Carolyn
Old November 24, 2015   #4
Tomatovillian™

Greyghost - Thank you for looking, that is the only company I found too. ☺

Carolyn - Ohh and ahh! Thank you for the heads up. How does one go about becoming a participant in your seed offer?

I had read something about the Coeur de Jade before but nothing about how it was named. Don't you love it when there is a personal story included in a variety's history? Or maybe I'm just a sappy sucker for the intimate details. lol
Old November 24, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureRevering_TreeHugger View Post
Greyghost - Thank you for looking, that is the only company I found too. ☺

Carolyn - Ohh and ahh! Thank you for the heads up. How does one go about becoming a participant in your seed offer?

I had read something about the Coeur de Jade before but nothing about how it was named. Don't you love it when there is a personal story included in a variety's history? Or maybe I'm just a sappy sucker for the intimate details. lol
Having named many varieties that came to me with no names, I certainly can and do appreciate good truthful histores but not all do tell the truth. Right now I'm helping three people name new varieties, one from Romania, another from Canada and I forget the other one right now. Neves Azorean Red,a very popular variety came to me with no name and just to share with folks what goes into naming a variety I started a thread at the originally named Garden Web,now known as Houzz, told everything I knew about the background and let folks make suggestions.

The winning name was Neves (last name of the family who brought it from the Azores, thus the Azorean, and red,b'c it was. There were 22 who posted in that thread and as thanks I sent seeds to all of them.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Neves_Azorean_Red

About my seed offer.

Here is a link to my 2014 Seed offer in the trade section of that seed subforum for you to look at

\\http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...014+seed+offer

My 2015 seed offer should have gone up this past January, but I was in the hospital with two days of consecutive gall bladder surgeries, the rehab was very long, I just didn[t get it put up, so I hope to have seeds produced in 2013 ( 2014 offer, seeds produced in 2014, already have the seeds, and now ones produced in 2015.

I can't tell you exactly when it will go up for several reasons. First at age 76 it's getting to be too much for me,so Shawn in VT will be taking over the hard part of packing seeds and I'll still be responsible for finding varieties new to all or most, and started doing that after I fell in Dec of 2004 and severaed all four quads in my right leg which put me into this walker.

Prior to that I had many seed offers at different places and was growing many hundreds of plants and varieties each year and at one time was also SSE listing several hundreds, all to say that I[ve now grown about 4,000 plus varieties.

My seed producers for this past summer are waiting to hear from me as to where they should send their seeds, to me or to Shawn directly, and we need to talk about that since if a variety is superb, then I send seeds for trial to several seed vendors that I've known a long time and two of my seed producers are also listed SSE members, since I quit being a listed member a year ago, so they can list them and can get them spread around that way as well.

If a variety isn't grown, seeds saved, listed here and there then that variety doesn't survive,

Best I can tell you right now,

Carolyn
Old December 1, 2015   #6
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn -Please accept my apology for the late reply. Hate to hear about the problems with your health. Did they eventually take your gallbladder out and if so have you been pain/issue free since? I have a torn tendon in my arm and can not even begin to imagine the excruciating pain you must have experienced with severing the quads in your leg. {{{hugs}}} Have you been able to get most of the normal function back?

Please don't push yourself in regards to seeds, there are others who share the passion of seed diversity and are working towards keeping old varieties alive and well. I'm sure I speak for many in that we would rather you be here and healthy than to have you pushing yourself. ~ Hugs and Smooches ~

Last edited by NatureRevering_TreeHugger; December 1, 2015 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Was supposed to have a heart emoticon at end of sentence but it posted as weird question marks.
Old December 1, 2015   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=NatureRevering_TreeHugger;516257]Carolyn -Please accept my apology for the late reply. Hate to hear about the problems with your health. Did they eventually take your gallbladder out and if so have you been pain/issue free since? I have a torn tendon in my arm and can not even begin to imagine the excruciating pain you must have experienced with severing the quads in your leg. {{{hugs}}} Have you been able to get most of the normal function back?

Please don't push yourself in regards to seeds, there are others who share the passion of seed diversity and are working towards keeping old varieties alive and well. I'm sure I speak for many in that we would rather you be here and healthy than to have you pushing yourself. ~ Hugs and Smooches ~[/QUOT

Yes, the gall bladder came out, two surgeries on two sucessive days, very long rehab and I think all is well with that, just had to have an ultrasound lastweek since enzymes have not returned to what they should be and no blockages seen,

If you want to catch up on my current situation please go to the Off Topic Forum and look for the thread Apologies and Explanations and that will tell you where I'm at right now.

Carolyn