Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Closed Thread

Old June 4, 2017   #1
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Best Heart varieties for 7 -10 gallon ??

I have inadvertently ...been

noticing Heart Varieties in Containers.....

This year my

EM Champion and
Velmozha

are far ahead of the others ...

I have Dwarf Pink Passion
and Zolotoe Serdtse as well.

I think I would like to try

Dwarf Lemon Ice and Danko next year ..

Does anyone have experience ...recommendations for

heart (Medium to Large ) in containers ???
Pacific North West ?? 7-10 gallon ??
Old June 4, 2017   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
I have inadvertently ...been

noticing Heart Varieties in Containers.....

This year my

EM Champion and
Velmozha

are far ahead of the others ...

I have Dwarf Pink Passion
and Zolotoe Serdtse as well.

I think I would like to try

Dwarf Lemon Ice and Danko next year ..

Does anyone have experience ...recommendations for

heart (Medium to Large ) in containers ???
Pacific North West ?? 7-10 gallon ??
I can't speak to your pacific NW question,but yes,now that I can't grow my own seedlings, someone does that for me, I always have lots of different hearts out there, not the dwarf ones, but the indet ones and are grown in large containers that are 10-12 gal ones.One of those 3 ring circular metal cages are put in after the seedlings go in, and when the plants cascade over the top and flop back down,that's OK as well.

I don't know if you want me to make some suggestions, they would be ones that are faves of mine,actually 100's are,or wait for someone from the PNW to show up.

Danko I do know very well,since you mentioned that one

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Danko

Tania says det, but I'd say compact and semi-det,in other words it doesn't get that tall and I'd probably grow it without that metal support..

Carolyn
Old June 4, 2017   #3
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

I very much like Kosovo. Mine only get 1 gallon of media each, but get fed a few ounces of nutrient 5-10 times a day.
Old June 4, 2017   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

In a 7 to 10 gallon you can grow just about any tomato variety.
In PNW it is even more feasible because you have a short cool season and plant will have short life and will grow relatively slower and thus smaller root mass.
I used to grow some dwarfs in 4 gallon containers, when I was in PNW.

Soil is just a medium to hold the root system. Plants use/need nutrients. If you give them readily available nutrients they will have less need for big root mass. JMO

Happy Gardening !
Old June 6, 2017   #5
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I can't speak to your pacific NW question,but yes,now that I can't grow my own seedlings, someone does that for me, I always have lots of different hearts out there, not the dwarf ones, but the indet ones and are grown in large containers that are 10-12 gal ones.One of those 3 ring circular metal cages are put in after the seedlings go in, and when the plants cascade over the top and flop back down,that's OK as well.

I don't know if you want me to make some suggestions, they would be ones that are faves of mine,actually 100's are,or wait for someone from the PNW to show up.

Danko I do know very well,since you mentioned that one

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Danko

Tania says det, but I'd say compact and semi-det,in other words it doesn't get that tall and I'd probably grow it without that metal support..

Carolyn
Sure Carolyn....I would be interested in your best favorite 5 in this

subset as a Pacific northwest heart container friendly types ...

I have tried
Monomakh's Hat , Russian Bull's Heart , Ox heart ...

I really like Monomakh's Hat also (was in 20 gallon ) but ....for me EM Champion produced more in smaller containers...(I am still Very impressed )..
Old June 6, 2017   #6
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
In a 7 to 10 gallon you can grow just about any tomato variety.
In PNW it is even more feasible because you have a short cool season and plant will have short life and will grow relatively slower and thus smaller root mass.
I used to grow some dwarfs in 4 gallon containers, when I was in PNW.

Soil is just a medium to hold the root system. Plants use/need nutrients. If you give them readily available nutrients they will have less need for big root mass. JMO
I have decided to try my large "container friendly " in 7 gallon square containers

for compactness ...sooo the varieties have to fit to the dimensions ......

7 is better than 5 etc. but of course not the comfort of a 10 gallon .
Old June 6, 2017   #7
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
I very much like Kosovo. Mine only get 1 gallon of media each, but get fed a few ounces of nutrient 5-10 times a day.
sounds good ..I am still rebuilding from move ..and will need to put in a drip emitter system this year ....I think all will be better with some auto watering mixed in with nutes ........I am not a Hydroponic Master ...to consider such
large fruited varieties out of a 1 gallon .

I only get things like Yellow pygmy and Chibikko and Rejina Red , Rejina Yellow , Hahm's gelbe , Venus ..etc. out of 1 Gallons .

Maybe some day ..Large fruited out of 1 gallon ..but I will have to learn a lot more ...before then .
Old June 6, 2017   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I love Wes.
Old June 6, 2017   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Sure Carolyn....I would be interested in your best favorite 5 in this

subset as a Pacific northwest heart container friendly types ...

I have tried
Monomakh's Hat , Russian Bull's Heart , Ox heart ...

I really like Monomakh's Hat also (was in 20 gallon ) but ....for me EM Champion produced more in smaller containers...(I am still Very impressed )..
When you are talking to a dedicated heart lover, that's me,I can't limit myself to just 5.

Not in any order

German Red Strawberry
Wes
Russian #117
Sheryl's Portuguese Red Heart
Kukla's Red Portuguese
Fish Lake Oxheart
Arad's Pink Heart
Toltusaka
Rab Srce
Michaela's Pink
Kosovo
Tsar of Bells
Anna Russian
Orange Russian #117
Joe's Pink Oxheart
Orange Minsk Heart
Indiana Red
Linnie's Oxheart
Nicky Crain
Serdtse Buivola
Bobbie
Hays'

And coming to your neighborhood soon, as they often say

Indian Stripe Heart (PL), finally stabilized by Marina in Russia

Omar's Lebanese Heart, the heart version of the original Omar's Lebanese

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Omar%27s_Lebanese

I tend to disagree with Tania on the taste of the original Omar one,since it has become a very popular variety, and I say that not b/c I was gifted of seeds for it by Omar.

Carolyn
Old June 6, 2017   #10
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Black Bear-

All of these varieties look great. But you won't find much out there on "Omar's Lebanese Heart", as it was only a working name. Last summer I decided to name it "Dotson's Lebanese Heart" and that is the correct name.
You can read the history about how it was discovered here:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...Lebanese_Heart

You can purchase seed for it here:

https://exchange.seedsavers.org/page/variety/id/94257

And you can follow a growout thread for it here:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44432

Best of luck on the hearts in pots! They should do well.

Darin
Old June 6, 2017   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I don't know what they taste like yet, but the picture is of Anna Margret's Heart. There are six tomatoes in that cluster that are the size of Brandy Boy or larger. The plant beside it has even larger tomatoes that are not in a cluster.

They are growing in a garden that has soil borne RKN and Fusarium Wilt. I would think they would grow even better in a 7 - 10 gallon container.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0055.JPG (69.2 KB, 167 views)
Old June 6, 2017   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Black Bear-

All of these varieties look great. But you won't find much out there on "Omar's Lebanese Heart", as it was only a working name. Last summer I decided to name it "Dotson's Lebanese Heart" and that is the correct name.
You can read the history about how it was discovered here:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...Lebanese_Heart

You can purchase seed for it here:

https://exchange.seedsavers.org/page/variety/id/94257

And you can follow a growout thread for it here:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44432

Best of luck on the hearts in pots! They should do well.

Darin
Darin, you or someone else provided the info to Tania about your name for that heart, much of the info was wrong, Dutch who provided you with so many seeds for it tried to get most but not all of the wrong info for it changed,if you haven't looked closely at how it now reads as compared with the original blurb..You turned around and used the seeds Dutch sent you,he is one of my seed producers, and made an offer for it with is seeds. The seed producer group does NOT provide seeds to individuals,they do it for the ultimate seed offer group.

And they all know now that will never happen again with anyone.

You initially sent seeds for what you called possible heart to both Marsha and myself,but I was in the hospital and didn't get those seeds until I got home from rehab.I listed them for my seed producers to chose from and it was Dutch who chose to do that seed production. You wanted me to connect you to Dutch so you could see his pictures and I did that. Once you had his e-mail address was when you kept asking for more and more seeds,as I described below when you made a seed offer with his seeds.

Those three threads where it was discussed were three of the most contentious threads I have seen lately.Some thought you had the right to name it after your mother,as Dotson,about the same number did not.

You stubbornly insisted that you had the RIGHT to do it, and did it.

Tania is very aware of the politics about this now.

Lots of folks pointed out to you that when heart versions of an initial non heart original were discovered they usually just added Heart to the title,as in Orange Minsk Heart, or another one I had on that list, Indian Stripe(PL)heart,finally stabilized by Marina in Russia and many more.

As I and others have pointed out to you without Omar Saab,there would have been no Dotson but you ignored that as well.

If I wanted to honor my mother would I have changed the name to Wigand's Lebanese Heart? Of course I wouldn't do that.

Enough is enough Darin, since I and some others are distributing seeds for Omar's Lebanese Heart to many different places ,yes also to SSE, since several of the seed producers are listed SSE members, which you are not although a Dotson from WV was listed as a new Lifetime member from WV but NOT a listed member, which is very strange,where you are from, I think his name was Dwayne,where I send seeds for trial at different vendors it will be as Omar's Lebanese Heart.

At first I was going to have folks list it as Omar's Lebanese Heart ,aka Dotson's Lebanese Heart until you insisted you had a friend, Samir,who would go to the hill towns in Lebanon to find out the REAL name of it, when Omar already said it was called the big pink one,but you wouldn't accept that either.

This was a very difficult post for me to write, trust me on that,but I had to do it for the reasons you know all about but refuse to accept.

Carolyn
Old June 6, 2017   #13
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

OK Carolyn, you stirred the pot. Black Bear- sorry for the post hijack.

I've always tried to be an honest guy, and I simply cannot tolerate inconsistencies in this history! Please let me address these points:

1. Yes, I submitted that "blurb" for inclusion in Tatiana's Tomatobase. It is 100% accurate, and has not changed from the day it was submitted. It will never change. I am a scientist, and I document everything!

2. I am a member of SSE- I paid 25 dollars for the online subscription and I listed this variety. The description is accurate and true.

3. Dutch kindly sent me 300 seeds and said that I could do whatever I wished with those seeds. I have the PM's. In the meantime, I gave about 100 of my ORIGINAL seeds to Marsha to offer them in a seed offer this spring. Some are growing it out this spring.

4. What right do you have to name this at all? How much more abuse do I have to take for naming this in my Mom's memory? At least I kept the Lebanese heritage in the name!

5. I indeed have a coworker and friend who lives in Lebanon- he tried to join T'ville but had issues getting it to work. Omar's Lebanese is known as "Majdel Maouch" in Lebanon and is quite famous. I have thanked Omar Saab profusely for bringing those seeds to you here on this forum.

6. Finally, I have to say that the contentiousness has certainly not been propagated by me! I have tried to be understanding and above-board on all of my posts.

You know, I'm growing a German Johnson this year for the first time. So I search for it on Tomatoville- and I find this thread:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17550

And I find in post #20, from you, the following statements, which I've quoted in partial:

"Camo, since I was in current contact with the person who sent us the three portuguese tomato varieties and I knew you weren't, I shared with you that she wanted them all named Kukla this or that, to honor Larry Kukla who gave her the fruits from Joe, Larry having passed away after she got those fruits and she didn't know that until I asked her if she could find out more information. And as she said, Joe, the original source doesn't speak English very well so Larry was her contact. And I cut and pasted her response to me in that thread where folks were doing their grow out lists so you could see it. So I'm a bit surprised that you didn't want to change the variety names to Kukla this and that, as you wrote above since it was her preference. if the originator of a variety wants to change the name of a variety then I do it, but you received your seeds before Larry passed on so the seeds sent to you didn't have Kukla as part of the variety name.

If you look at my grow out list in that current thread you'll se several that have what I call working names and as soon as the person(s) who sent me the seeds can give me more information I can change the working name to whatever they want it to be called."

So I'm finding it very difficult to understand why I'm being singled out by you on this forum in a naming controversy!

I have no difficulties writing these things, as they are all 100% accurate.
Old June 7, 2017   #14
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Caroline, I gave you seeds for an unknown heirloom almost 4 years ago now. It has yet to be offered by you to the general membership as your offer has not happened since 2013. There is clearly no reason to send seed to you if only an exclusive little group of your friends gets a chance to grow them. I am growing it out myself for seed to offer myself this year and will be sending seed to the big swaps of Zena's gift this fall. I regret not doing that myself 3 years ago and have learned a valuable lesson.
I and many others including Tatiana have supported Darin in his right to name his own tomato discovery and this has been hashed and rehashed over and over in several different threads.
KarenO
Old June 7, 2017   #15
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I love Wes.
Sounds like Great taste ......and late and

possibly a guilty pleasure but not as productive in our cool climate

for me it would be like growing Old German here ...absolutely off the taste map great
but late and iffy for a PNW cool climate ...

I sure like to hear from folks what works best for them ...