Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 6, 2017   #1
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Default Deutz Allis small tractors/yard tractors

As long as I'm discussing yard/gardening equipment, I'm hunting for a new riding mower/small tractor. Have used a couple of MTDs for about the last 25 years, eventually using one to patch the other -- but both reached the end of their lives and I've been hunting. I need something with more clearance than the MTDs had -- until part of the deck lift mechanism of one malfunctioned usefully and made it possible to mow with it lifted higher than intended.

Have word of a small tractor of the Deutz Allis family (the lines that were once upon a time Allis Chalmers, I believe). Haven't been able to get the model number so it's hard to get any really useful info on it as yet. News of it is second hand -- hoping for more specifics later this week. All I've heard thus far is that "a little bit bigger and heavier than most yard tractors," "everything is hydraulic" -- "no belts -- attachments run off the PTO" and allegedly "runs good". I've no idea if any of the Deutz Allis 'yard tractors' use belts, but at least this one doesn't.

With that bit of info, have prowled -- appears that some places may have had trouble getting parts? Have seen "love it, works great year after year" and "don't pay any more than it's worth as junk metal" type remarks. Of course without model number, age, etc. can't get good info but . . . anyone have good/bad experience with a Deutz Allis that's in the small tractor/yard tractor category -- as opposed to the size used for serious farming? Any thoughts on things to check into when evaluating?
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #2
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I would suggest consulting Jack's Small Engines for parts availability, but without knowing the model number there's not a lot you can really do.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote