Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 11, 2022   #1
wodehouse
Tomatovillian™

Default Tadesse Mystery

Thanks to Farmer Shawn's efforts to distribute old seed, I received a packet of Carolyn Male's seed for Tadesse, an Ethiopian tomato brought to the U.S. by a former student of Carolyn's and dated 2013. I've tried three times to germinate it, with about a total of 60 seeds, and finally succeeded in getting two seeds to germinate. Of course, I was thrilled! However, of the two seedlings, one is RL and the other is PL...I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced a potato leafed variant, and also whether I should destroy it. I'm tempted to grow it out, but not to save the seeds...any advice?
wodehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2022   #2
retiree
Tomatovillian™

I see where one person got Potato Leaf seeds in 1996.
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2022   #3
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodehouse View Post
Thanks to Farmer Shawn's efforts to distribute old seed, I received a packet of Carolyn Male's seed for Tadesse, an Ethiopian tomato brought to the U.S. by a former student of Carolyn's and dated 2013. I've tried three times to germinate it, with about a total of 60 seeds, and finally succeeded in getting two seeds to germinate. Of course, I was thrilled! However, of the two seedlings, one is RL and the other is PL...I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced a potato leafed variant, and also whether I should destroy it. I'm tempted to grow it out, but not to save the seeds...any advice?
I would grow both, and save seeds from the best one. Unless both are great, or both are terrible.

Tags
carolyn male , ethiopian , mystery , potato leaved , tadesse