Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Default Upstate Oxheart - new favorite of mine

I was inspired today to post about a new(ish) to me favorite tomato, Upstate Oxheart. I grew it for the first time in 2022 and again 2023. Of course growing it again this year. The fact that it's been invited back says a lot. For reference my staple tomatoes that I grow every year are Brandywine, Spudakee Purple, Cherokee Green, Armenian, Sungold, and Sprite. I'm always looking for a new favorite to add to my main grow every year tomatoes.

In 2022 it was a very dry year and I do water my plants. 2023 was very rainy! Both years Upstate Oxheart did well and produced tasty, large tomatoes. Most over a pound and sometimes over two pounds.

Advertised DTM 84 is days. In my garden last year first ripe came in at 63 days. Anyone else growing this one?

Jen

Now for some pics...

jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a good one, especially with your experience of an earlier DTM. I wonder what the history of this tomato is, had never heard of it before. Sure is a meaty one with few seeds. I don't see it in Tania's database.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
jhp
Tomatovillian™

I think where I first saw it was Hudson Valley Seed Co (which states 3lbs tomatoes. No, I did not get ones that big). Anyway, they say on their site that a local gardener donated the seeds to them originally. So that's all I know about its origin. I ended up getting seeds elsewhere so as to consolidate my order. I was pleasantly surprised with another good in my garden tomato.

As to the DTM, the plant went in the ground at 8 weeks old. It lived in my greenhouse once potted up until hardening. So that tends to give plants a quicker start getting all that natural light. At least it seems.This is only my second year with the greenhouse Your mileage may vary.

Jen
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Ohhhhh, Will have to add that to my list of 'must check out for next year' tomatoes!
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
jhp
Tomatovillian™

I went looking through my photos from 2022 for some evidence of a DTM date for that year. I found this pic of the fruit set taken Aug 1, 2022. I picked it a few days later at about 80 days. That was before we had the greenhouse. So we will see how they do this year.

I also found a pic of what I did to try and protect it from squirrels. I forgot that they were taking bites out of my tomatoes that (dry) year. Beau kitty is on the job now, so hope that he keeps the squirrels away. He seemed to last year. Last year crickets were the problem. Grrr...

August 1, 2022

Beau watching the garden in 2023
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Good looking tomatoes, and beautiful cat! He looks a lot like my Maizie, except she has green eyes.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Good looking tomatoes, and beautiful cat! He looks a lot like my Maizie, except she has green eyes.
Beau is an excellent mouser (moler, voler, chipmunker, etc.). My other cat too, she's just not as obsessed as Beau when it comes to hunting.
Old 1 Day Ago   #8
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhp View Post
I was inspired today to post about a new(ish) to me favorite tomato, Upstate Oxheart. I grew it for the first time in 2022 and again 2023. Of course growing it again this year. The fact that it's been invited back says a lot. For reference my staple tomatoes that I grow every year are Brandywine, Spudakee Purple, Cherokee Green, Armenian, Sungold, and Sprite. I'm always looking for a new favorite to add to my main grow every year tomatoes.

In 2022 it was a very dry year and I do water my plants. 2023 was very rainy! Both years Upstate Oxheart did well and produced tasty, large tomatoes. Most over a pound and sometimes over two pounds.

Advertised DTM 84 is days. In my garden last year first ripe came in at 63 days. Anyone else growing this one?

Jen

Now for some pics...

Picture of the Year, Amen!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #9
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Picture of the Year, Amen!!
Thanks!