Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 14, 2007   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default Schimmeig Striped Hollow tomato

It occurred to me that names change with tomato varieties and instead of simplicity in naming conventions; evolved names out-pace the original names.

The variety I created using four parental stocks in the pedigree and was named by me as Schimmeig Stoo back in the 70's, is now known more as Schimmeig Striped Hollow tomato,
and why is that?

I sent seed out for test trials in 1979 and a few years later it showed up in the Thompson and Morgan catalog as Striped Cavern. It is essentially the same variety but as selfing generations go on, there are likely minute differences occurring. But since the striping and hollowness are such classic and recessive traits, the numerous named clones are quite similar. I know that in the early years, it was difficult to get the right amount of hollowness or stuffing expression to suit me. I had to stay with two, three, and sometimes four locules to get the hollowness to express itself as a bell pepper. Five and more locules and it looked like many of the typical Mexican varieties that have the scalloped/accordion shape.

If anyone has some clue as where the moniker (
Schimmeig Striped Hollow tomato) originated, or became popularized, please tell me.

Much of my thought thinks that the SSE groups were somehow involved. Maybe the translation of the name from Manx is the culprit. Schimmeig Stoo means Striped Hollow in the Gaelic/Norse langugage of my grandfather on my Mom's side.

My thinking is that the descriptive nature of this new name is self perpetuated.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2015   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I bough an heirloom tomato from store and found out that it was Schimmeig Stoo. I have saved seeds to grow. I did not find it ver tasty but I like it as stuffer.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2015   #3
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Bought 'Striped Cavern' from a store last year. Didn't realize it was yours!!!
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2015   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Striped Cavern was from seed I seed out for trials in several seed company plots in the year 1979. Not sure which location was responsible but Thompson and Morgan had it in catalogs by 1981 or so. The seed savers of Iowa asked me about how to maintain seed of Schimmeig Stoo and Striped Cavern and I responded that since so many years separated the seed stock...you might as well treat them as different strains at least. Keep both names.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote